Friday, August 28, 2015

Networking

Sorry, I've ignored you guys for awhile.  Been a bit busy with the pre-school rush (see my next post - for all the gory details).

Last week I went on vacation.  Honest to goodness not having to worry about food - how much the hotel costs - or even driving - vacation.  Of course it was with a school group, so it wasn't completely without business.



But I want to talk about the events leading up to the trip and expand from there.

I was browsing the UVU Illustration page on Facebook when a comment from an adviser caught my attention:  One of the school's journals was looking for an art editor.  I saw it the day after it was posted and immediately emailed the editor-in-chief.

He called me and after talking for a bit I got the job (the non-paying, completely voluntary job). That's how I ended up having a vacation with twelve English nerds at Capital Reef.

They're a different breed of person.


(I mean, so is everyone who specializes in something and when they get together with their other special people it's like getting a glimpse of another world).

My point is I don't usually interact with the English students because I'm too busy being strange with the Illustrators.  This is why I applied for the job.  Along with the experience it will give me as an art editor, the second-most reason I took it is:

Connections.

These people I'm working with will someday move on to work with magazine companies, publishing companies, or even writing their own works.  In the long run it would be nice to have an "in" with that crowd.

I might not ever want to do commissions for magazines or book covers or whatnot, but if it ever comes up then I already have friends and acquaintances who are embroiled in that field and may be able to swing a favor for me, or know somebody higher up who can.  Insurance.

Which is why I'm adding more to my workload and I'm doing it for free and with a giant smile on my face.

An artist doesn't just need to master art, they need to make connections in the professional world to people who can make jobs happen or give you opportunities to make a living.

I talked about this a little bit back in my post "Community Support System".  You need connections to other artists, to people who run the businesses you want to work for, in fields you don't think are relevant.

I knew networking would be huge when I started the Illustration program, so I immediately joined the Illustration club.  Were these people professional?  No.  Were they going to make amazing art in the future and be the next big thing?  Yes.  And when they make it big they're going to remember the people who helped them along the way.

Am I saying that I don't think I'll make it big, so I have to hang on the coattails of those who will?  No, but I'm being practical.  There's a lot of artist out in the world who all want to get paid doing art.  But employers are more likely to hire someone who was recommended by a friend.

So get out of your bubble, be a little social, and start making those life-changing connections.


Fin
If there is any topic you wish me to discuss, or any questions that you would like answers to please respond in the comments and I will blog about them!

1 comment:

  1. Cool! That sounds like an awesome trip! And you made a million new friends!

    ReplyDelete